In the beginning there was grad school. That ended in 2010. Now what do I blog about?

NEW BLOG - ACADEMIC AMPLITUDE

June 17, 2009

3 weeks

Three weeks until my summer course starts. I am enjoying the homework-free weekends. And I am taking advantage of the homework-free weeknights by walking for an hour after dinner. I wonder if I can and will keep up that amount of physical activity once the summer term begins. And I wonder if I will be able to continue when I have two courses in the fall and spring semesters. I wish I had the ability to get up at 4:30am and do my 3 miles, then shower, then have breakfast and coffee and pack my lunch & snacks to take to work. I have never been an early riser so the odds of my doing it are slim. But I will continue to consider it. Maybe do that once or twice a week, to free up evenings for school work? I should commit to trying it for a week or two to see if I can adjust.

A few months ago I put in an application for a graduate assistantship. The program coordinator called me and was very nice, telling me she was impressed with my application. She hoped something would be suitable for me, but didn't have anything at that time. The caveat to the endeavor being that I will not be driving 2.5 hours to the main campus to fulfill the responsibility; it needs to be something for which I can telecommute.

While on vacation last week, our housesitter called to say someone from the college called re my application. I got in touch with him as soon as I got back to the office but he is away this week. I am anxious to speak with him. I hope we can work it out so I get the assistantship and alleviate tuition and fees for the next two semesters. As a state employee I do get 50% off tuition, but that covers just 25% of the overall cost for grad school considering fees equal the tuition cost and are not subject to the employee discount.

It was my plan to pay for grad school out of pocket so I wouldn't be sacked with additional student loans. I'll be paying undergrad loans for another 11 years as it is. This past academic year I worked within a grant funded project at work which paid me enough to cover 90% of my tuition & fees so that worked out perfectly. The assistantship would be perfect to finish off my program edu-debt free. Wish me luck.

No comments: